What Factors Are Considered When Making Weather-Related Decisions?
The decision to have or not have school due to inclement weather will be based on the safety of the students attending the district's schools and on the best information available at the time the decision must be made. Parents may choose to pick their child up at school or not to send them to school anytime they feel that the weather is a threat to their child's safety.
In deciding whether children will be safe, we look at the following factors:
* Visibility and current/expected wind conditions
* Road conditions (current, anticipated, and the status of city and county road crews) for buses, families and district staff that need to be on the roads
* The time precipitation starts and the current/expected amount
* Expected duration of the storm
* Alert level from National Weather Service
* Temperature and wind-chill