History of Eastwood Elementary
In 1973, the builders of Eastwood were Foss-Englested and Foss Co., and the contractor was Mead. The taxes and foundation payments helped support the building.
Eastwood got its name from a contest and votes. In that contest, anyone could select a name that they thought would be a good name for the school. Teachers, parents, and the school board members went through all of the names and selected five names, then they had people vote on those names. "Eastwood" turned out to be the winning name.
Eastwood had no original colors, it was just a cement building when it was first built. Later, when they added the 1980 addition, they also added the green stripe around the building. The green stripe has now been changed to update the new colors added to the building. The first students planted 65 trees and all of the trees are still standing today.
In the summer of 2002, Eastwood had another addition built. Four new classrooms were added on the west side of the building. During the 2002-2003 school year, a major addition on the north section of the building was completed. New music rooms, an all-purpose room, kitchen, offices, and new parking lot were built. During the summer of 2003, the interior of Eastwood was updated with an all new look as we created classroom space and remodeled the "open school" concept that was created in 1973. The exterior was also remodeled and the grounds beautified with the relocation of trees.
EASTWOOD PROGRAM OFFERINGS:
- Eastwood offers a challenging and quality educational program for our children. Eastwood has a diverse population and represents many different cultures and languages. We celebrate our cultural differences and embrace the idea that we are a school where our children demonstrate their Eagle Pride through positive actions, determination, good choices, and a willingness to help others.
EASTWOOD PROGRAMS & SPECIAL FEATURES:
- AdvancEd Accredited
- Art Education
- Attendance Awards
- Breakfast Program
- Computer Lab/Wireless Technology
- Core Curriculum Courses
- Counseling Services
- Eastwood YMCA Before/After School Program
- English Language Learner (ELL) Services
- Guided Reading Literacy Program
- Homework Room
- Intramural Sports
- Library/Media Center
- Music Education
- NDMILE Improvement Process
- Parallel Block Schedule
- Parent Workshop Nights
- Physical Education
- Presidential Academic Award
- Presidential Fitness Awards
- Research-Based Intervention Programming (COMPASS, System 44, Read 180, LLI, FASTTMATH, IBD)
- S.A.R.B. Attendance Program
- Special Education/Speech Therapy
- Spectacular Skills Awards
- Student Ambassador Program
- Schoolwide Title Reading & Math Program
- Supplemental Education Services