Weather Procedures at WFPS
The decision to have or not have school due to inclement weather will be based on the safety of the students attending the district’s schools and on the best information available at the time the decision must be made. Parents may choose to pick up their child at school or not to send them to school anytime they feel that the weather is a threat to their child’s safety.
In deciding whether children will be safe, the district looks at the following factors:
- Visibility and current/expected wind conditions
- Road conditions (current, anticipated, and the status of city and county road crews) for buses, families and district staff that need to be on the roads
- The time precipitation starts and the current/expected amount
- Expected duration of the storm
- Alert level from National Weather Service
- Temperature and wind-chill
All storm announcements relating to West Fargo Public Schools will be reported to local radio and television stations, communicated to parents and guardians by the Blackboard automated messaging system (phone and/or email), and be posted to the school district’s website.
Additional information about cold weather procedures relative to elementary-aged children can be found here.