WFHS Prom 2020 -- Saturday, May 2, 2020
UPDATE: APRIL 2, 2020
While the unexpected closure of our school buildings has certainly not been easy, it has allowed us the opportunity to be creative in ensuring our students receive as many “normal” experiences as possible during this time of uncertainty. The two biggest events that a school district hosts in the spring are prom and graduation, and we know many families have been anxiously waiting for word on what those will look like.
Graduation is the culminating event for any high school student; it’s their opportunity to celebrate their achievements while officially taking the next step in their life’s journey. We understand the importance of graduation ceremonies, and it is our intention to hold them as currently scheduled:
- Community HS > Thursday, May 28 @ 7:30 PM @ West Fargo HS
- West Fargo HS > Sunday, May 31 @ 1:00 PM @ Scheels Arena
- Sheyenne HS > Sunday, May 31 @ 4:00 PM @ Scheels Arena
Unfortunately, prom is coming up faster than graduation, which means we cannot make the same commitment to hosting prom as originally scheduled (April 25 at Sheyenne HS and May 2 at West Fargo HS). HOWEVER, we are excited to share that it is our intention to hold a joint SHS/WFHS prom on Friday, May 29 at Scheels Arena. Through the partnership of our district, high schools, parent organizations, and community businesses, we will begin planning WFPS Prom 2020 very soon. Details will be coming as these entities begin discussing how to make this a memorable night for our students.
Please know that our intention to host both events at the end of May hinges on the Governor lifting the Executive Order mandating school closures, and for the CDC to revise social distancing guidelines. If these things do not change, we will need to look at further adjustments for prom and an adjustment for graduation. We are committed to making a final decision on both prom and graduation by May 1, so families have time to plan.
We remain hopeful that May will be a time of returning to normal activities across our community. As a visual show of support and solidarity in these uncertain times, the stadiums at both Sheyenne High School and West Fargo High School will be lit up from 7:00-9:30 PM tonight (Friday, April 3). Even though our buildings may be dark, the district is still here to infuse hope and help into the community. If you’re able to drive by one of the stadiums tonight, take a photo and share with us what you miss most with schools being closed. Don’t forget to use one of our hashtags: #wfhawkpride, #wfmustangpride, #wfpackerpride so we can see your post!
Thank you for your continued support and patience as we navigate our way to a new normal. We appreciate you all!
Sincerely, Supt. Beth Slette WFPS Administrative Team
West Fargo High School 2020 Prom - Saturday, May 2, 2020
Tickets will be sold before and after school from Monday, April 20 through Friday, May 1. To purchase tickets, students must be eligible and have no outstanding obligations. Forms to receive approval for non-WFHS guests will be available outside the Main Office starting in April. Prom tickets are not sold at the door on the day of prom.
- The front doors will open at 6:00 PM. All attendees must enter through the front doors and check in. Students should have their prom tickets and a form of ID You cannot buy tickets at the door! Tickets will be on sale two weeks prior to Prom. Friday, May 1, 2020 is the final day to purchase tickets. Doors will lock at 7:00 PM. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- When checking-in, have your tickets ready at the door. You will give your tickets to the volunteers at the front table and receive your Grand March card. This card will inform you of your line-up location for Grand March. DO NOT LOSE YOUR GRAND MARCH CARD. If you do lose it, you will be placed at the end of the Grand March line-up.
- All prom attendees must complete a breathalyzer test. You must pass this breathalyzer test before you will be allowed to get pictures, get in line for Grand March or have any access to the main part of the building.
- If you leave the building after admittance, you will not be allowed to re-enter.
- Grand March begins at 7:00 PM. Grand March line-up is organized by the color of your Grand March card. Grand March order is as follows: Student Body President, Senior Class Officers, Junior Class Officers, Student Council, Prom Committee 2020, Prom Committee 2019 and then the remainder of the prom attendees in the general order in which tickets were purchased. Within your color group, the order is random and first-come, first-up.
Checklist for Attendees
Students must be eligible to attend prom PRIOR to purchasing a ticket. The Prom Obligation list will be generated on Friday, April 17.
Take care of Office Obligations from first semester !
To be eligible scholastically, passing five hours of class. Students deemed ineligible on the 3rd quarter eligibility report will be given a second opportunity to become scholastically eligible to attend prom at the mid-term mark of the 4th quarter (April 24).
Pay all parking tickets issued on or before April 17.
Serve all detention hours assigned on or before April 17.
Prom tickets will be on sale in the commons April 20-May 1, 2020 at 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM.
Tickets are $15 per person and will NOT be sold at the door.
Rules for Grand March
There are a series of rules for the Grand March audience members.
Gym doors are used and open at 6:00 PM.
Doors will be closed and locked at 7:00 PM sharp. No matter where you are in the Grand March line-up, your friends and family must be in the gym by 7:00 PM or they will not see you walk.
Cost is $3.00 per person for all ages.
Spectators are asked to say for the entirely of the Grand March to respect all students and families.
Over the past 5 years, Grand March has lasted approximately an hour.
Handicapped seating will be available for those in need.