• Parents
  • Students
  • Staff
  • Community










Breakfast (Elementary) Grades 1-5 $1.20
Breakfast (Secondary) Grades 6-12 $1.35
Adult Breakfast - $2.00
Reduced Breakfast - $0.30
Elementary Lunch Grades 1-5 $2.00
Secondary Lunch Grades 6-12 $2.20
Adult Lunch - $3.00
Reduced Lunch - $0.40
Additional Milk or Juice - $0.35
Kindergarten Milk - $0.35
*** Free & Reduced Lunch Applications will be available at registration -or- download one here ***


Please note: This is NOT an online application. It must be printed off, completed by hand, and mailed or submitted at registration. Applications need to be dated and submitted AFTER JULY 1st to be eligible for the new year.

(Rev. 5/14) G/Tools/SNP/Letter to Households-Charge

Dear Parent or Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn. West Fargo Public Schools offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.20 for grades K-5 and $1.35 for grades 6-12; lunch costs $2.00 for grades K-5 and $2.20 for grades 6-12. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is no charge(30 cents paid by the state) for breakfast and $.40 for lunch.


FEDERAL INCOME CHART (For School Years 2015-16)
Household Yearly Monthly Weekly
1 $21,775 $1,815 $419
2 $29,471 $2,456 $567
3 $37,167 $3,098 $715
4 $44,863 $3,739 $863
5 $52,559 $4,380 $1,011
6 $60,255 $5,022 $1,159
7 $67,951 $5,663 $1,307
8 $75,647 $6,304 $1,455
Each Add’l Person $7,696 $642 $148


  1. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD? No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Peggy Rieniets, Nutrition Services, West Fargo Public Schools, 801 9th St E., West Fargo, ND 58078.
  2. WHO CAN GET FREE MEALS? All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or the Temporary Assistance Program for Needy Families (TANF) can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free or reduced price meals if your household income is within the limits on the Federal Income Chart.
  3. CAN FOSTER CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.
  4. CAN HOMELESS, RUNAWAY, AND MIGRANT CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call the school at (701) 499-1984 to see if they qualify.
  5. SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call the school at (701) 499-1984 if you have questions.
  6. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER ONE? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.
  7. I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILD(REN) GET FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.
  8. WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED? Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.
  9. IF I DON’T QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving SNAP TANF or FDPIR. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals during the time you are unemployed.
  10. WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL’S DECISION ABOUT MY APPLICATION? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Jan Sliper, Director of Food Services, 801 9th St E., West Fargo, ND 58078; phone number (701) 499-1837.
  11. MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.
  12. WHOM SHOULD I INCLUDE AS MEMBERS OF MY HOUSEHOLD? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children living with you.
  13. WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.
  14. WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE INCLUDE OUR HOUSING ALLOWANCE AS INCOME? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income.
  15. MY SPOUSE IS DEPLOYED TO A COMBAT ZONE. IS HIS/HER COMBAT PAY COUNTED AS INCOME? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment and it wasn’t received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

If you have other questions or need help, call (701) 499-1984, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


Junella Vein
Nutrition Services Admin Asst
West Fargo Public Schools
801 9th Street East
West Fargo, ND 58078
Ph: 701-499-1984 / Fax: 701-499-1895

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice).

Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.


Junella Vein
Nutrition Services Admin Asst
West Fargo Public Schools
801 9th Street East
West Fargo, ND 58078
Ph: 701-499-1984 / Fax: 701-499-1895