Meadowlark Opening Delayed Until Fall 2024
District leaders recently met with the Meadowlark project construction team to receive a status report for when Meadowlark would be ready for learners. This meeting made it clear that we will be unable to have learners attend school at Meadowlark Elementary for the upcoming school year (2023-24). All learners will remain at their current school for the upcoming year and will transition to Meadowlark for the 2024-25 school year.
While the physical school will not open this year, we do have plans to start creating an identity with the learners and families of Meadowlark Elementary. Some of these opportunities include selecting a mascot and school colors, building a PTA/PTO, hosting events like fun nights, etc. These things will help build relationships early, ensuring a strong opening in 2024-25.
If you have any questions about what this means for your learner for the upcoming school year, please contact your learner’s principal. If they are unable to assist you, they will direct you to who can.
In planning for the opening of Meadowlark Elementary (the new school in Fargo’s Rocking Horse Farm neighborhood), transitional boundary adjustments were approved by the School Board on February 14, 2022. These transitional boundaries allow the district, where possible, to relocate learners now to their future school of residence.
Meadowlark Elementary will serve families within the current boundaries of the Mustang feeder system. As determined by the Board, families living east of the Sheyenne River, south of 32nd Avenue South, west of Veterans Boulevard, and north of 52nd Avenue South will attend Meadowlark when it opens in either the fall of 2023 or 2024 and continue to Liberty Middle School and Sheyenne High School.
Impacts for 2023 – 2024:
- All kindergarten and first grade learners from the area outlined in purple (currently Freedom Elementary attendance area) will attend kindergarten at Independence Elementary School.
- All second and third grade learners living north of 28th Avenue South (in this area) will attend Freedom Elementary School.
- All K-4 learners living south of 28th Avenue South (in this area) will attend Independence Elementary School.
- All fifth grade learners in this area will continue to attend Freedom Elementary School.
- All learners in the area outlined in red will attend Deer Creek Elementary School until Meadowlark Elementary opens, EXCEPT FOR learners who live east of the Sheyenne River and west of 4th Street between 32nd Avenue and 40th Avenue South. Learners in that area will remain at Aurora Elementary until Meadowlark opens.
- All learners in the area outlined in turquoise will attend Independence Elementary School. This area is west of I-29 and east of 45th Street between I-94 and 32nd Avenue South.