Use of Personal Devices on District Property
West Fargo Public Schools holds high expectations for learner behavior, academic integrity, and responsible use of existing and emerging technology, such as cell phones, iPods, iPads, laptops, and other personal electronic devices capable of transmitting data or images. Learners who possess and/or use such devices at school or school-sponsored events shall demonstrate the greatest respect for the educational environment. Standards for responsible use at school, on buses, or at school activities:
- Learners shall not use any electronic device that in any way disrupts or detracts from the educational environment. Electronic devices are inclusive of cell phones, smart watches, earbuds, and school-issued devices.
- Cell phones must be out-of-sight and out-of-use from the first bell to the last bell of all classes, including during study halls and within flexed learning spaces that are an extension of a classroom.
- Cell phones may be used appropriately and respectfully in common spaces during non-instructional times, including passing time, the student lunch period, and before and after school.
- It is the learner’s responsibility to secure their electronic devices to show care for their technology devices and personal information. The school is not responsible for lost or stolen items or individual service plan charges related to use of electronic devices.
- Learners are expected to respect the network and adhere to the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) when using school-issued and personal electronic devices. Learners will be expected to access the district’s Wi-Fi network via their iPad during designated school activities unless connections are unavailable. Wi-Fi is not available for learners’ personal electronic devices.
- Photographing or recording of another person should be used for educational purposes as defined by the educator. Any use of an electronic device for other than educational purposes will result in a consequence. Messages and photos on an electronic device are subject to viewing by administration given reasonable suspicion of a crime or school infraction.
- The use of cellular phones or other personal electronic devices is strictly prohibited in locker rooms and restrooms.
The first time a phone is delivered to the Main Office due to an infraction of this rule, it will be returned to the learner at the end of their instructional day. Further violations of this rule will result in additional consequences including, but not limited to, requiring phones to be turned into the Main Office for a predetermined number of days, requiring the family to pick up the cell phone, and family meetings.
ACDA-AP: Use of West Fargo Public Schools' Computer Network
West Fargo Public Schools recognizes the need for its staff and students to have access to a global computer network. Part of the district’s responsibility in preparing students for the 21st century is to provide them access to the tools they will be using as adults. We believe that responsible use of this global computer network is important.
Accordingly, West Fargo Public Schools shall operate a computer network to enhance and expand its educational mission. The West Fargo Public Schools computer network is defined as an information system owned by the district, which provides access to other external networks. The district is responsible to endorse and to regulate access to external network resources, but is not responsible for the regulation of content on external network resources.
An orientation session on appropriate use of the West Fargo School District Computer Network shall be provided for staff and students prior to the issuance of a network account. The use of this network shall be consistent with the district’s educational mission, district policy, state laws, and federal laws.
Administration shall develop procedures to ensure appropriate use of West Fargo Public Schools' computer network.
Receiving Your Learning Device
A device is distributed once the student and parent/guardian have reviewed both the WFPS Secondary 1:1 User Agreement and district policy ACDA-AP Use of the West Fargo School District Computer Network through our district's online registration process.
West Fargo Public Schools retains sole right of possession of the digital device and related equipment. The use of this device is a privilege, not a right.
Returning Your Learning Device
Students who graduate early, withdraw, are suspended or expelled, or terminate enrollment within West Fargo Public Schools for any other reason must return on the date of withdrawal their individually issued school device, district provided case, Apple USB to Lightning connector charging cable, and Apple power adapter charging “brick” in damage-free, working condition.
You will be financially responsible for the replacement cost of the device and any related accessories (case, cable, power adapter charging brick, etc.) that you fail to return at collection time or upon termination of enrollment within West Fargo Public Schools.
Family Financial Responsibility
All students will initially receive an iPad device at no cost
- $25 fee for the first incident if accidental damage occurs
- $75 fee for the second incident if accidental damage occurs
Full repair or replacement cost of a device lost, damaged intentionally, or due to negligence:
- Device - $300
- Charging Brick - $20
- Charging Cable - $20
- Logictech Pen - $50
- Case - $40
Student/Parent or Guardian Agreement & Pledge for Device Use
- I agree to monitor my child’s device and internet usage outside of school.
Student & Parent/Guardian
- I will not leave my device unattended.
- I will not loan my device to other individuals.
- I will know where my device is at all times.
- I will bring my device to school each day, adequately charged.
- I will keep food and beverages away from my device, which may cause damage to the device.
- I will not disassemble any part of my device or attempt any repairs.
- I will immediately report any damages that may have occurred to my device to designated building location.
- I will protect my device by using it in the case as intended and carrying it while in the provided case.
- I will use my device in ways that are appropriate and meet all West Fargo Public Schools district expectations.
- I will not place decorations (such as stickers, markers, pencil, paint, nail polish etc.) on the device or accessories.
- I will not deface the serial number or device asset tag barcode sticker on any device.
- I understand that my device is subject to inspection at any time without notice and remains the property of the West Fargo Public Schools.
- I will follow the policies and procedures outlined in the WFPS Secondary 1:1 User Agreement.
- I will file a police report in case of theft or vandalism that occurred to my device.
- I will be responsible for all damage or loss caused by neglect or abuse.
- I agree to return the district device, issued case, Apple USB power cable, Apple USB Power Adapter “brick” in good working condition to the designated location within my building, no later than the date determined by my school.