Counseling Emergency Services
During the current school closure, the WFPS school counselors are available online for your child’s support. They are ready to provide 1:1 virtual counseling during designated office hours. The purpose of virtual counseling is to provide brief academic, career, and social/emotional supports to your child. Examples may include consultation on college applications, stress management techniques, friendship issues, online conflicts, isolation, anxiety over illness, family financial stress, food insecurities, coping strategies, etc.
Virtual counseling is NOT intended for long-term therapy. If your child needs ongoing therapy, here are some options for you to consider:
- FirstLink: Dial 2-1-1 or text your zip code to 898-2-1-1.
- FirstLInk is a free, confidential service available to anyone, 24/7, every day of the year. They offer listening and support, referrals to resources, and crisis intervention.
- ND South East Region Mobile Crisis Service:(701) 298-4500
- The mobile crisis service provides support to individuals experiencing a mental health crisis. They will respond within 20 minutes.
- Services are available 5:00 PM - 8:00 AM on weekdays, and 24 hours on weekends and holidays.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- School Social Workers: School Social Workers can be contacted via phone or email. Their contact information is listed under “Programs” and “Social Work” on your school’s website.
- If your child is in crisis, please call 9-1-1 or go to your nearest emergency room.
Virtual counseling with the school counselor will require online access through Microsoft Teams. Microsoft Teams has been installed on your child’s device. If you would like to schedule a session, please go to the website of the school building your child attends. Under “Programs” and “Counseling” you will find your counselor’s available hours each day, contact information, and directions for scheduling a session.
West Fargo Counseling Team