History of Horace Elementary
The current Horace Elementary School, 110 3rd Avenue North in Horace, was constructed by TF Powers Construction and opened in 1983. Funding for the building was provided by the West Fargo School District through a special building levy. Prior to 1983 students in grade K-6 attended school at what is now the Horace Senior Center. This building formerly housed grades 1-12, until the Horace community voted to become a part of West Fargo Schools in 1962, and middle and high school students were bussed to West Fargo. Presently, Horace Elementary houses students from Horace and the immediate surrounding areas.
As the Horace community expanded, the population began to outgrow the building. Several creative solutions have kept the attendance areas intact. In 1992, for example, when faced with an option of moving attendance areas and/or transferring some students to other elementary schools in West Fargo, community residents constructed a “portable” with two classrooms of 1000 sq ft, all with volunteer time, talent, and material donations.
In 2002 the school district patrons passed another levy with provisions to expand the Horace building to create a larger gymnasium and add additional classrooms. Construction began in the spring of 2003 and the three classrooms were completed when students returned in the fall. In addition, the existing building received extensive remodeling which included wall lockers, hall carpeting, lighting, and refurbished wall surfaces. A specialist room was added behind the library, student bathrooms were remodeled, and the music room renovated with a new entry. The largest component of the addition was the gymnasium. Work was completed in February of 2004 and the facility is available for use by the students and the community.